Happy Siete De Mayo, here’s a blog post that should have been posted a week ago!!!I have been as good as MIA for the past month. Between a trip home, Clippers finishing up and working about twice as much as I had been, I’ve let this little guy fall by the wayside, blinked my eyes and April was gone. Sitting here trying to write this I literally had to grab my planner and look back on the month to see what I had even done these past four weeks…besides run from one thing to the next. Busy or not- there were definitely some great moments in April so I’ll catch you up on a few of my favorites.
Did wedding things. I’m not sure if you know this or not, but my BEST FRIEND IS GETTING MARRIED. Almost can’t wrap my brain around it and even more so can’t believe it’s only 4 months away. When I was in Iowa at the end of March, I finally got to spend some time with her. India is a massage therapist in Pella (HIT HER UP IF YOUR IN THE AREA)- so that meant a 90 minute massage for me, which she absolutely crushed. Post massage, she surprised me with the cutest basket of goodies and a card asking me to be one of her bridesmaids…well that’s what she told me the card said. I didn’t read it until I was on the airplane heading home because I knew I would cry. I went straight from opening the basket to trying on bridesmaid stuff so that got real pretty quick.
Road Tripped. To Coachella Valley with one of my Clippers teammates, Aleya. We made a day of it between pit stops, story telling and PLENTY of snacks. I fricken love road trips. Especially in California. There is so much to see and so many different types of places you can see after just getting in the car for a few hours. I mean you can hit the mountains and ski or be at the beach in a matter of a few miles. California is great that way.
Coffeed. At Go Gettem Tiger. My coffee shop find of the month. Kind of stumbled onto it by accident because I misread my work schedule and ended up being in the area too early. This is something I tend to frequently do. Their service is fantastic and the ambience is even better. I got their almond macadamia milk latte, which they serve in a cute little mason jar.
Got Nailed. At Nail Garden on USC’s campus. This was a last minute, panicked decision. Basically I was headed to Coachella and had tried to make a nail appointment at 4 different places, 2 of which I drove out of my way to and they proceeded to tell me there wasn’t an appointment scheduled for me….which took all of me to remain calm, cool and collected. So here I was, the day I was supposed to leave with 3 fake nails missing and another 2 trying to fall off- I am hell on nails. I called the only place that was open at 9 am and scheduled appointment. First of all, USC’s campus is insanely beautiful and I got lost trying to find the place so it was fun to wander around a bit. A few hours later I left with a fresh set of nails that made me realize the places I had been going weren’t even close to up to Nail Garden’s standard. I paid a little bit more, but definitely a place you should check out!
Coachella. Somehow I went from never wanting to hear the words tent, wristband, alcohol, Coachella or Instagram to wanting to get my booty in my KIA Sorrento, drive to Indio as fast as I can for round two. I hate this about myself. This weekend I suffered from a serious case of fomo and after having friends who literally snuck into the festival, I’m confident that I could have done the same. Buuuuut alas, duty called and instead, I strapped myself into a straightjacket of responsibility…no matter how miserable it was.
I am proud to announce that aside from a cough, I have finally returned to my normal state!!! It took me almost a week. Coachella really takes it out of you, let me tell ya. You can buy as many vitamins, pound countless wellness shots, perform as many weird crystal rituals and drink as much water as you want- you’re still gonna feel it afterwards. Especially if you camp. And ya girl camped. For the first time ever. Just take a second to picture me in a tent………yeah it’s probably worse than the image you have in your head.
For starters, I clicked all of my plans into place literally the day before. I literally walked into the locker room at Staples with a big ole SOS flag and my teammates pulled all the way through from outfits to a place to stay. I borrowed a tent and sleeping pad (which much to my surprise is NOT the same thing as an air mattress), scored a ride, and even copped a few outfit options. Now I’m not telling you that procrastination is a good thing, but I am saying it all works itself out nine times out of ten. And always leaves you with some interesting stories.
- My tent was big enough to house the Duggars. Seriously. Once I got to the campsite, we took it out of the bag to set up by where they had set up the picnic table and we quickly realized that unless we put the table inside my tent, that was not happening. By the grace of God, there happened to be an empty camping slot right next to the 6 that my group had reserved. So I spent the entire weekend with my own camping site space, in a tent that was the epitome of me having a studio apartment.
- I had no EZ up. Which means no shade. Which means I went to sleep in 16 layers and woke up because I was drowning in sweat. Good morning desert sun!!!
- I forgot a towel. Which makes communal showers fun!
- The boys in the campsite adjacent from my tent were definitely 18 and spent each night getting blacked out, bumping into my tent and talking about how much trouble they would be in if their dads knew. They are probably still hungover
- I made it to morning yoga each morning….but the first day I grabbed my water bottle full of vodka on accident. Thankfully I didn’t go for a sip until I was trying to talk to the instructor afterwards. So I just held it in my mouth and communicated in sign language until waving goodbye and running to the nearing garbage can to spit it out.
If you know me you are not surprised by any of these. Now let me tell ya about some of the absolute best moments and products that helped me survive the desert life.
- LANY. 3:45 pm and you better believe I was pushing my way to the front.
- The Weeknd was honestly my second favorite set of the entire weekend. He played his new stuff (which I’ve since gotten into) but most importantly he played most of the good ones from Trilogy. I literally went psycho for The Morning. Hair whips and all.
- Beyonce. Because it was Beyonce and I’m sure you’ve already read/seen all about her performance.
- Yodel boy. I stumbled onto a set of some artist I didn’t even know and out came yodel boy. In the flesh.
- Miguel. That man can SING. Not to mention I ran into two of my Clippers friends while walking to his set. Out of all the people that were there.
- Cardi B was so stinkin’ fun. We stood kind of in the back so there was plenty of room to dance.
- My friends Irene and Leah got into Coachella because they told the guard it was Irene’s birthday at midnight. Which was true. But what was even crazier was that in a land where cell service is not a thing, we found each other within 5 minutes of them getting inside the gate. Meant to be.
- I got to watch Super Duper Kyle with one of my Clippers teammates Kylie. This was cool cause we had danced with him earlier in the season so it was fun to see him up there and definitely motivating.
- Silent Disco. I’ve always wanted to go to one of these. If you don’t know, it’s exactly what it sounds like. Everyone outs on headphones and that’s how you hear the music. So everyone is like screaming the lyrics and if you take off your headphones, all you can hear is the people singing. It must look so strange to people that are just walking by and not participating. Anyway- they had this on the campsite throughout the night so for a lot of people it was their last stop after all the concerts and sets had ended.
- Ya girl made it to outdoor yoga every single morning. I have no idea how.
- THE FOOD STANDS. Thank you Clover and Sage for being my healthy food havens during the weekend.
- RX bars got me THROUGH
- Not your mothers dry shampoo. Thank you for taming my unwashed dreadlocks during this weekend.
- And shoutout to my Urban Outfitters hat for covering my hair the last day because dry shampoo can only go so far you guys.
Bontanica. Shoutout Tori for finding this place. It’s the cutest little restaurant over in Silverlake (which I have made it a point to explore more). We ordered a bunch of apps including sun chokes, beets, some bread thing that I can’t eat, cod and last but not least Japanese sweet potatoes. MMMMM. I freaking love sweet potatoes. Not to mention the interior of that place is basically the spitting image of what I dream of my place looking like.
HUM Flatter Me. We sell these at my work in our Detox market stand and I finally pulled the trigger on trying them. Since getting more in tune with my body and eating habits, I’ve cut a lot of things out that I’ve realized don’t necessarily work for me in terms of how they make me feel- from stomach aches to body swelling and puffiness. These little guys are an all organic digestive enzyme blend that you take before you eat to prevent bloating and aid in digestion. I definitely recommend giving them a try. HUM has a lot of other really great products too that help with sleep, dark under eye circles, skin, hair and even more.
Roommates. LEXIE MOVED IN WITH ME FOR 2.5 WEEKS. Just after I recovered from Coachella, Lexie finally made the move to LA. It’s been so fun to have her around and I’m so proud of her for actually taking the leap and saying peace out to Iowa. We have made an extremely long Summer bucket list so if you have any suggestions of places to go, things to do or food to eat in California, LET US KNOW.