FML. I really don’t think I’ve ever wanted to dislike something so much as Taylor Swift’s most recent album. From the annoying names of all the singles that were released to the annoying name of the album: Reputation??? COME ON. IT’S ALL ANNOYING. And don’t even get me started on the music video for Look What you Made me do…AKA the worst song ever created in the history of forever. Yeah. I had decided I was good on never listening to the rest of the album and had committed to frantically changing the radio station if I happened to be so unlucky to come across any of those songs while I’m trying to enjoy my drive somewhere. Heaven forbid.
Fast forward a few months. My friend Grant asked if I had listened to it. And I answered passionately with an “Absolutely not.” He said I was missing out and I just chalked that up to him loving to disagree with me and his tendency to be a dramatic. I mean, the kid is an actor. So then I’m in my car and I feel like belting some bangers (and probably recording myself singing on Snapchat cause that’s another embarrassing thing that I do). I didn’t even know that Taylor had decided to put her music up on Spotify, but I found some ultimate old school T-Swift to annoyingly sing in my car. Great. Life is good and the people who are passing me on the freeway probably think I have some sort of medical condition. I’m cool with it. A few songs in, I accidentally skipped to one of the ones on her new album. Shit. What is this and why the hell do I like it. And the next one….and the next one and also the one after that.
By far the best one is Dress. But Gorgeous, So it Goes, New Years Day, Delicate……I mean she killed it. And I’m pretty unhappy to admit this, but I was wrong. And there are few things in life I hate more than being wrong. But whatever. I’m fully accepting it and have since added most of the album to my saved songs on Spotify. Taylor, you crazy. But job well done. I’m officially converted.
WHAT ELSE IS ON MY PLAYLIST THIS MONTH
- Pale Waves: There’s a Honey, My Obsession
- The Cure: Close to me, In Between Days
- Honne: Good Together, Woman
- Sufjan Stevens: Visions of Gideon
- SIDE NOTE. This is the song that plays in the credits of Call Me by Your Name, which if you haven’t seen that movie, do yourself a favor and change that.
- James Blake: Radio Silence, Put That Away and Talk to Me
- Frank Ocean: White Ferrari, Nights
- Junior A: Sleep Machine
- Drake: God’s Plan
- Banks: Fuck with Myself, Crowded Places
- Childish Gambino: Retro
- Post Malone: Candy Paint
- New York Movie: Teenage Love
- Phoebe Ryan: Dark Side (really a curve ball and unsure why I’m so into it)
- Exes: Sherman Oaks, Memorize, 18
And a bunch of other ones you can check out riiiiiight here!